Deportation flight to Rwanda is going ahead as High Court backs Priti Patel

1
120
"Our world-leading partnership with Rwanda is a key part of our strategy to overhaul the broken asylum system and break the evil people smugglers’ business model" - Home Secretary Priti Patel. Picture by Pippa Fowles / No 10 Downing Street.

The High Court has denied a bid to stop the Government sending migrants who have crossed the English Channel to Rwanda, clearing the way for the first flight to go ahead next week on June 14th.

This afternoon a High Court judge refused to grant an injunction to stop the flight expecting to deport the first tranche of migrants to Rwanda on Tuesday.

Left-wing lawyers for the migrants due to be relocated to the east African nation as part of the government’s bid to curb dangerous Channel crossings, had asked judges to block their upcoming deportation flight.

Up to 130 people had been notified they could be removed with 31 people due on the first flight on Tuesday and the Home Office planning to schedule more this year.

Lawyers for almost 100 migrants had submitted legal challenges asking to stay in the UK with the remaining anticipated to follow suit.

A source has told the Conservative Post:

“Left-wing lawyers team up with the illegal arrivals in the asylum accommodation and encourage them to put in claims for human trafficking and other human rights violations because the evidence threshold to prove they are a victim of trafficking / slavery is incredibly low.”

The source said:

“It is super easy for unscrupulous legal advisors, paid for by the tax payer to coach them how to do it so they can enter our support system.”

The Conservative Post has confirmed this with migrants who crossed more than three and sometimes up to five safe countries now staying at a Serco procured hotel in the West Midlands. Earlier this week they told a Conservative Post reporter they had been encouraged by UK lawyers to make false claims in order to improve their chances of staying in the UK.

On the High Court ruling this afternoon Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

“I welcome the court’s decision in our favour, and will now continue to deliver on progressing our world-leading migration partnership.

“People will continue to try and prevent their relocation through legal challenges and last-minute claims, but we will not be deterred in breaking the deadly people smuggling trade and ultimately saving lives.

“Rwanda is a safe country and has previously been recognised for providing a safe haven for refugees – we will continue preparations for the first flight to Rwanda, alongside the range of other measures intended to reduce small boat crossings.”

Under the government’s world-leading Migration and Economic Development Partnership with Rwanda the migrants sent there will receive a generous support package, including up to five years of training, accommodation and healthcare on arrival.

Under the partnership deal, the UK is also investing an initial £120 million into the economic development and growth of Rwanda.

Last year, the number of illegal migrants making the hazardous journey to the UK reached a record 28,500, and according to official figures so far this year more than 10,000 people have already crossed the English Channel in small boats.

The partnership with Rwanda forms part of the New Plan for Immigration, the government’s response to overhaul the asylum system – which is currently costing the UK taxpayer £1.5 billion a year – to create a fair but firm immigration system.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here