BBC director-general Tim Davie has stepped down following a turbulent week in which the broadcaster faced accusations of political bias, mishandling of sensitive topics and the doctoring of a Donald Trump speech.
His resignation comes after The Telegraph published details from a leaked 19-page internal memo alleging that footage of a Trump address, aired within a Panorama programme, had been edited in a way that made him appear to encourage the storming of the US Capitol.
The same document also raised concerns about anti-Israel slant in coverage and the downplaying of gender-critical viewpoints.
Deborah Turness, the BBC’s CEO of News and Current Affairs, has also resigned.
Fallout From Panorama Edit
Over the past week, the media has highlighted a series of editorial controversies at the corporation, including its reporting on Gaza, its handling of trans-related issues and the misleading edit of the Trump clip.
The BBC is expected to apologise on Monday for the Panorama edit. In addition, chairman Samir Shah will write to the culture, media and sport committee to express regret over how the footage, recorded on 6 January 2021, was spliced together.
It has also emerged that both Mr Davie and Dr Shah had been warned about the doctored footage as far back as May, raising questions about why it took six months for the issue to be publicly addressed.
On Friday, the White House went as far as accusing the BBC of “purposeful dishonesty”, describing it as a “Leftist propaganda machine”.
Internal Emails Before Resignation
Ms Turness wrote to BBC news staff on Friday, acknowledging the pressure on the organisation. “I’m writing to you today because it’s always difficult when the BBC becomes a story – as it has, in some quarters, this week,” she said.
She referred to the leaked letter from Michael Prescott, a former adviser to the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and Standards Committee.
On Sunday afternoon, Mr Davie informed staff that he had chosen to leave after two decades. “This is entirely my decision,” he said, adding that he planned to work with the board on a smooth handover in the months ahead.
While defending the value of the BBC, he admitted the organisation had fallen short in places. “There have been some mistakes made and as Director-General I have to take ultimate responsibility.”
Political Pressure
Just hours before his resignation, Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy sharply criticised what she described as the BBC’s “entirely inconsistent” editorial standards.
She said she had held “countless conversations” with senior figures over the past 15 months, adding: “It doesn’t always meet the highest standards.”
Chairman’s Tribute
Dr Shah paid warm tribute to the outgoing director-general. “This is a sad day for the BBC,” he said, calling Mr Davie “a devoted and inspirational leader”.
He added that the board respected the decision: “Personally, I will miss his stamina, good humour and resilience.”
The process to identify the next director-general will now begin, as the BBC faces renewed scrutiny over impartiality, governance and its approach to politically sensitive coverage.






Telegraph- BBC facing ‘fundamental’ overhaul of licence fee