Prime Minister Boris Johnson has written to Conservative Party Members this evening to say thank you for the “historic gains across the country.”
With 133 out of 143 councils now declared, the Conservatives have gained 302 councillors and the Green Party have gained 70. The Liberal Democrats are now down 11 councillors and Labour have so far lost 257 council seats across the country.
In an email to all party members across the UK, the Prime Minister wrote:
Although we are still waiting for many results, it’s now clear we are seeing Conservatives make historic gains across the country.
So, I wanted to personally reach out and thank you for everything you’ve done as a member of our Party to make this happen.
Your support has made a real difference at this election, directly helping us to deliver an extraordinary set of results:
- In Hartlepool, we have achieved a remarkable by-election victory in a seat held by Labour since its creation.
- Across England, from Cornwall to Northumberland we have taken control of key councils.
- In the Tees Valley, Ben Houchen has been re-elected with a landslide 72.8% of the vote.
- In the West Midlands, Andy Street has achieved an historic second victory in the region.
- In Wales, we have had our best ever Senedd result and gained the seats of Vale of Clwyd and Brecon and Radnorshire for the first time.
- And in key regions like Cleveland and Derbyshire, we are gaining Police and Crime Commissioners as voters reject Labour.
- None of these results would have been possible without your support so thank you once again.
|Voters have made it clear that they want the focus to be on delivering their priorities and recovering from the pandemic.|
And we will not take their trust for granted. With you behind us I know we will continue to deliver the positive change people have voted for and build back better.
Thank you for all your support.
Photo licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic License.