Lucy Connolly, the Northamptonshire childminder jailed for a controversial tweet, is allegedly being mistreated in prison, according to reports shared by Telegraph columnist Allison Pearson and confirmed by Reform UK deputy leader Richard Tice following a personal visit to HMP Peterborough on Tuesday.
Tice, who met Connolly for around an hour, said he was concerned about her welfare after hearing that she had been forcibly relocated within the prison last Thursday by up to six officers.
According to Pearson’s report, Connolly claims she was handcuffed, manhandled without provocation, denied food, and placed in a wing known for housing violent and drug-addicted inmates.
“She was mistreated without provocation,” Tice is quoted as saying. “Full force was used with no justification. She was starved of food, with no lunch or dinner, after the incident. She was denied enhanced accommodation to which she was entitled and they gave her… the Nutters Wild Wing – full of druggies and violent offenders.”
Connolly is currently serving a 31-month prison sentence for a tweet posted in the aftermath of the Southport murders in August 2023. The tweet, which was deleted shortly after publication, was found by the court to be racially aggravated and likely to incite hatred. Critics, including Tice, have described the sentence as excessive and politically motivated.
Pearson reports that Connolly, who had recently been transferred back to Peterborough from HMP Drake Hall to be closer to her family, believed she was due to be moved to an enhanced wing — typically offered to prisoners of good behaviour. Instead, she was allegedly reassigned to A1, a unit nicknamed “The Bronx”, which houses high-risk inmates.
According to Connolly’s account, shared through Pearson’s column, she was approached by officers on her way back from the prison gym and physically restrained after refusing the transfer. She described being in “excruciating pain” and said the use of force left visible bruises on her wrists, which her husband, Ray Connolly, later confirmed seeing during a prison visit on Sunday.
“She was gobsmacked by the way they treated her,” Tice said, adding that he believed there may be political motivations behind the treatment. “I think it would suit the authorities to provoke a violent reaction from Lucy. I told her to be very careful.”
Pearson’s piece also includes claims from Ray Connolly that prison authorities have refused Lucy temporary leave or home detention despite her reportedly meeting the conditions. He said a probation officer told him that a plan to move Lucy to open conditions was scrapped due to “media interest” in the case — a justification which, if accurate, may raise legal and procedural concerns.
Pearson further reports that one prison officer expressed private concern over Lucy’s treatment, and that Tice intends to escalate the matter if bodycam footage of the incident is not properly reviewed. Tice said he had spoken to the head of security at the prison, who assured him the incident and Connolly’s complaint would be investigated.
Lucy Connolly is scheduled for release on August 21, having served approximately 40% of her sentence. At the time of sentencing, she was described by supporters as a previously law-abiding citizen and devoted mother.
In Parliament, Richard Tice is expected to introduce “Lucy’s Bill”, a proposed mechanism allowing public appeals against what are perceived as disproportionate sentences. The bill is unlikely to progress in the current Parliament but reflects growing political concern over sentencing policy in high-profile cases.
The Ministry of Justice has not commented publicly on the allegations. HMP Peterborough is operated by Sodexo Justice Services. The prison’s management has not released a statement at this time.
Pearson concludes her column by warning that Connolly’s case “feels increasingly sinister” and may reflect broader concerns over politicisation in the criminal justice system.





