
A Royal Navy warship has reached the Eastern Mediterranean to defend Cyprus from Iranian threats, arriving after a delayed deployment that has intensified scrutiny of Sir Keir Starmer’s handling of Britain’s military readiness.
HMS Dragon, a £1 billion Type 45 air defence destroyer, moved into position off the island on Monday and began protective duties overnight, entering a region on edge following recent escalation.
Her deployment follows a drone strike on RAF Akrotiri, Britain’s key air base on Cyprus, an incident that exposed serious concerns about how quickly UK forces could respond to a growing crisis.
Dragon had been undergoing maintenance when she was ordered to deploy. At that point, the warship was still in dry dock, with key systems offline and scaffolding in place, forcing crews and engineers into a race against time to make her seaworthy.
In Portsmouth, weeks of work were compressed into a matter of days to prepare the vessel. Even then, it took a further fortnight at sea before she reached Cyprus, prompting criticism that Britain was too slow to react as tensions in the Middle East intensified.
Political opponents have accused the Prime Minister of failing to anticipate the conflict, despite a prolonged build-up of US naval forces ahead of joint American and Israeli strikes on Iran.
At the time of the Akrotiri attack, all six of Britain’s Type 45 destroyers were in port. Only two were officially classed as ready for operations, meaning they should have been available to deploy within 72 hours, yet none were in position when the base was hit.
Sir Keir’s decision not to join the conflict has also strained relations with Washington. Donald Trump accused him of seeking to “join wars after we’ve already won” and said he “will remember” Britain’s absence during the fighting.
Against this backdrop, the Royal Navy is emphasising Dragon’s arrival as a clear demonstration of British capability and resolve.

General Sir Gwyn Jenkins, the First Sea Lord, said: “HMS Dragon was rapidly brought to readiness and deployed from Portsmouth earlier this month and will now play her full part in defending Cyprus and the wider Eastern Mediterranean.
“Equipped with the cutting-edge Sea Viper system, she can tackle a wide range of threats.
“On her way to the region, her crew have undertaken essential training to ready themselves for this mission, and I have every confidence that they will rise to the task before them.
“In uncertain times, her presence is a visible demonstration of the Royal Navy’s commitment to protecting our people and our interests, at home and overseas.”
Dragon is one of the most advanced warships in the Royal Navy’s fleet, designed to defend against aircraft, drones and missile attacks simultaneously. Her Sea Viper system can fire multiple missiles in seconds and guide them towards separate targets at extreme speed.
During her transit, the crew carried out sustained training exercises to prepare for the threat environment. This included live firing of the ship’s main gun, capable of striking targets up to 14 miles away, as well as drills using 30mm cannons and the Phalanx close-in weapon system.
The Phalanx, often nicknamed “R2-D2” by sailors, is able to unleash thousands of rounds per minute, forming a last line of defence against incoming drones, aircraft or missiles.
Commander Iain Giffin, Commanding Officer of HMS Dragon, said: “It has been a busy three weeks getting the ship fuelled, stored, ammunitioned, worked-up and deployed to the Eastern Mediterranean.
“My team has been put through its paces conducting mission rehearsal training during our transit to Cyprus and they have stepped up to the challenge and delivered with their characteristic determination, professionalism and good humour.
“I am immensely proud of what Dragon has achieved and we are ready to do whatever our country calls us to do.”
Despite her capabilities, HMS Dragon has not yet engaged any drones or missiles since taking up her position off Cyprus.
Elsewhere in the region, British forces have already been called into action. RAF Regiment gunners stationed at a coalition base in Erbil, northern Iraq, shot down 14 drones overnight, marking the largest number intercepted by UK personnel since the US-Israeli strikes on Iran.
For critics, the episode underscores a wider concern, that while Britain’s armed forces continue to demonstrate professionalism and firepower, political hesitation risks leaving them reacting to events rather than shaping them.
Image: MOD Crown Copyright News / Editorial Licence.




