They’re coming home! Britain’s final Kabul evacuation takes place today but General warns ‘we should be holding our breath’

0
77
Credit: LPhot Ben Shread - UK MOD © Crown copyright 2021

The UK’s final Afghanistan evacuation takes place today but head of the British Armed Forces Sir Nick Carter has warned “we should be holding our breath and thinking really hard of that last aeroplane”  amid fears ISIS could carry out new attack.

The head of Britain’s armed forces warned today that Kabul evacuations are entering their most dangerous phase as the final UK flights take place amid a rising ISIS terror threat. 

Gen. Sir Nick Cater said:

“We should be holding our breath and thinking really hard of that last aeroplane.”

He added US Troops will be facing a “very difficult” few days acting as the “rear guard” to the withdrawal.

Sir Nick said:

“I think our American allies are going to be very challenged because the threat from ISIS-K has not gone away and of course there are still lots of desperate Afghans trying to get out.”

Britain’s Ministry of Defence announced last night that they had extracted 14,543 people had so far from Kabul since August 13. These were a mix of Afghan and British nationals. However, now the focus would turn to getting diplomats and service personnel out on the final day. 

Following Thursday’s suicide bomb attack which killed at least 170 people, including 13 US soldiers, two Britons and the child of a UK national at Kabul airport, the Pentagon announced it carried out a drone strike on the ISIS ‘planner’ behind the attack overnight.

They said the ISIS chief’s car was obliterated by a missile while driving through Nangahar province in eastern Afghanistan. 

General Sir Richard Barrons said ISIS now posed a threat which reached British soil. He said:

“What [the suicide bombing] does do is illustrate that Isis-K is a risk to the United Kingdom, here at home, and to our interests abroad.

“We’re going to find common cause with the US, and indeed I think the Taliban, in bearing down on this terrible organisation for as long as it takes to neuter them.”   

The first batch of British troops landed this morning at RAF Brize Norton on one of the final flights back home.

The final planes are now predominantly flying soldiers and officials, leaving behind up to 150 Britons and 1,000 Afghans eligible for migration who have not been able to get through to Kabul airport.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has spoken of his “great sense of regret” at those left behind.

The Prime Minister said:

“We’ve never seen anything like it in our lifetimes and, of course, as we come down to the final hours of the operation there will sadly be people who haven’t gone through.

“There will be people who are eligible, whether they’re UK nationals who have chosen not to come forward yet or people who are interpreters, and others who haven’t been able to come forward to Hamid Karzai International Airport so far.

“And what I say to them is that we will shift heaven and earth to get you out, and we will use all the leverage that we have with the Taliban to make sure that they understand it.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here