US President Donald Trump has filed a 5 billion US dollar lawsuit against the BBC, accusing the British broadcaster of defamation and deceptive trade practices after it aired an edited version of his 6 January 2021 speech in a Panorama documentary.
The lawsuit, filed last month in a Florida court, centres on an edit that combined two separate remarks made nearly an hour apart, creating what Trump says was a false and damaging impression that he directly incited violence at the US Capitol.
The BBC has since acknowledged the edit gave “the mistaken impression” that Trump had “made a direct call for violent action”, an admission that has undercut the corporation’s repeated claims of editorial innocence.
Court papers filed on Monday show the BBC will now seek to have the case dismissed, arguing that the Florida court lacks “personal jurisdiction” over the broadcaster, that the venue is “improper”, and that Trump has “failed to state a claim”. The BBC is also asking the court to stay all other discovery while the dismissal motion is considered. If the case proceeds, a trial date as late as 2027 has been proposed.
Trump’s legal team argues that the case is about deliberate distortion, not editorial judgment. During his speech on 6 January 2021, Trump told supporters: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women.” More than 50 minutes later, he said: “And we fight. We fight like hell.”
In the Panorama programme, those remarks were edited together to appear as a single statement: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol… and I’ll be there with you. And we fight. We fight like hell.” Trump says the splice removed context, including calls for peaceful action, and falsely suggested he encouraged the riot.
The BBC has conceded the edit was wrong but continues to dispute liability. It has apologised, withdrawn the programme, and said it would not be broadcast again in its edited form. However, it rejected Trump’s demands for compensation, prompting the lawsuit.
An internal BBC memo leaked in November was sharply critical of how the speech was edited. The fallout was severe, leading to the resignations of director general Tim Davie and head of news Deborah Turness, a rare and damaging admission of failure at the top of the corporation.
Trump is suing the BBC for defamation and for breaching Florida’s deceptive and unfair trade practices act, seeking 5 billion dollars in damages. His lawyers argue the documentary was broadcast just days before the 2024 presidential election and was intended to influence voters. The filing describes the programme as a “brazen attempt to interfere in and influence the [2024] election’s outcome to President Trump’s detriment”.
Speaking from the Oval Office earlier this week, Trump accused the BBC of outright fabrication. “Literally, they put words in my mouth,” he said. “They actually have me speaking with words that I never said, and they got caught.”
A spokesman for Trump’s legal team said: “The formerly respected and now disgraced BBC defamed president Trump by intentionally, maliciously and deceptively doctoring his speech in a brazen attempt to interfere in the 2024 presidential election. The BBC has a long pattern of deceiving its audience in coverage of President Trump, all in service of its own Leftist political agenda.”
The BBC, for its part, insists it will fight the case. A spokesperson said: “As we have made clear previously, we will be defending this case. We are not going to make further comment on ongoing legal proceedings.”
In its dismissal filing, the broadcaster claims the Panorama programme was not aired in the US and did not defame the president. It also argues Trump has not demonstrated actual harm, noting that he was re elected after the programme aired and carried Florida with a commanding majority. The BBC further denies that the documentary was shown on BritBox, contradicting Trump’s assertion that it was available there.
The corporation also maintains that Trump cannot plausibly allege the programme was published with “actual malice”, pointing out that the disputed clip was about 15 seconds long within an hour long documentary that included extensive coverage of Trump supporters and his path to re election.
Trump’s lawyers reject those arguments, saying the misleading edit was presented as verbatim and widely disseminated online. In a November legal filing, they said: “Due to their salacious nature, the fabricated statements that were aired by the BBC have been widely disseminated throughout various digital mediums, which have reached tens of millions of people worldwide.”
White House officials have also condemned the broadcast. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt said: “This purposefully dishonest, selectively edited clip by the BBC is further evidence that they are total, 100 per cent fake news that should no longer be worth the time on the television screens of the great people of the United Kingdom.”
While some legal experts note the high bar for defamation claims in the US, others say the BBC’s own admissions have strengthened Trump’s case. Burt Neuborne, a professor emeritus at New York University School of Law, said the edit was misleading and not “innocent splicing”. “The actual malice here is the knowing dissemination of something that was purported to be verbatim, but which is not,” he said.
Trump has previously secured significant settlements from US media organisations. In 2024, ABC News paid 15 million dollars after an anchor wrongly said he had been found liable for rape. In July, CBS News agreed to pay 16 million dollars to settle a lawsuit over the editing of an interview with Kamala Harris.
As the BBC prepares its motion to dismiss, the case threatens to further damage the broadcaster’s reputation, already shaken by internal scandal and senior resignations. For Trump, the lawsuit is framed as a necessary stand against what he calls media deception. “Let’s call it fake news,” he said.





